Monday, May 13, 2013

Pinned It, Made It! Monday








I love to make all different  flavors of slaw, I usually prefer vinegar based instead of mayo. Years ago I had a recipe for Firecracker Slaw and if I dig through my recipes I might be able to find it, but who has time for that?  I was looking for a fast recipe to make for Mother's Day using what I had at home. I did not use jalapenos in the slaw, because I wanted my in-laws to eat it, but next time I make it I'm adding the jalapenos and hot sauce. This had a nice kick just from the juice, my mother in-law said it would be good with hamburgers.    

Firecracker Coleslaw-my version
I used: 1 bag of slaw mix, 1/2 cup broccoli cut  small, half of a red pepper,  handful of cilantro leaves chopped( I forgot to put onions in but will either add green onions or onion next time)
for the dressing: 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar, 2 T olive oil, 2 T jalapeno juice from a jar of jalapenos  1 t. celery seed, 1 clove garlic minced, coarse black pepper(to taste), 1-2 T organic sugar

This is the recipe I found and started my dressing with, I left out the mustard, hot sauce and salt. Here is one recipe  that is pinnable and pretty close to the first.  Other slaw recipes I make I add sunflower seeds and almonds. I use to make the ramen noodles slaw but now make it without adding the noodles.  I first stopped using the seasoning packets since they are full of stuff I didn't want to put in my body and would still use the noodles but found I like it  without the noodles best. I'll post my recipe for that one soon. 

 I'm linking up with Tammy at Country Girl at Home, check out all the other Pinned It, Made It! Monday

1 comment:

Tammy ~ Country Girl at Home ~ said...

Oh that sounds so good, Allison. I love spicy kicks! I Alabama, the relatives make a "hot slaw" that I am all over when I'm there!

Thanks for participating in Pinned it Made it Monday!

Blessings,
Tammy